The Delight Song by N. Scott Momanday Text & Explanation


The Delight Song by N. Scott Momaday


POEM # 16

The Delight Song

(N. Scott Momaday)

(Text & Explanation)

Reference:


These lines have been taken from the poem “The Delight Song” written by N. Scott Momaday.


Context:

The poem expresses the feelings of ecstasy when Man finds himself aligned with nature and the universe. Man desires to enjoy and live a contented life.


(Lines 1-6)

I am a feather on the bright sky

I am the blue horse that runs in the plain

I am the fish that rolls, shining, in the water

I am the shadow that follows a child

I am the evening light, the luster of meadows

I am the eagle playing with the wind


Explanation:

The poet shares his happy feelings when he finds himself in complete harmony with different objects of nature. These natural objects gratify and enhance his optimistic sensations. In extreme joy, he feels himself like a feather flying in the sky. He feels like a blue horse that runs in the plain. He also feels like a fish that rolls and shines in the water. Then he feels himself like a shadow that follows a child. He feels himself the evening light, the brightness of meadows, and eagles playing with the wind. Infect the poet has used the metaphor of all the natural things that we find all around us. All these natural objects and their strong relationships with the poet manifest that his life is carefree. The use of metaphors has enhanced the impression and the feelings of the poet about joy and nature.


(Lines 7-14)

I am a cluster of bright beads

I am the farthest star

I am the cold of the dawn

I am the roaring of the rain

I am the glitter on the crust of the snow

I am the long track of the moon in a lake

I am the flame of four colors

I am the whole dream of these things 


Explanation:

In these lines, the poet ascertains his presence amidst different natural objects. He feels jubilance when he feels himself like a cluster of shining beads. Then he considers himself a distant star. He further feels the cold of the dawn, the musical sound of rain, the shine on the crust of the snow, the long track of the moon in a lake, and the flame of four colors that depict the variety of life. Finally, he feels himself a dream of all these things. His friendly relationship with nature has made his life easy and carefree. Actually, he wants to teach us the lesson of good relations with all. He also wants to say that we must be optimistic.


(Lines 15-20)

You see, I am alive, I am alive

I stand in good relation to the earth

I stand in good relation to the lords

I stand in good relation to all that is beautiful

I stand in good relation to all that is fruitful

You see, I am alive, I am alive. 


Explanation:

The poet concludes the poem with a message of establishing good relations with nature. He is of the opinion that we can live a happy and peaceful life if we utilize our mental and physical energies in positive things. Our good relationship with the earth, human beings, and eye-catching natural objects can lay the foundation of a calm and fruitful life. It is a universal message. A positive attitude towards life can transform the dream of the poet into reality.

*****

*

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post